Friday, December 6, 2013

Sanrio - Jewel Pet - Cats


source
This week's Sanrio Cats belong from the Jewel Pet series.  Okay the Jewel Pets are a big deal in Japan!  It wasn't until reading this wiki article here that I began to grasp the merchandising tank ship that is Jewel Pet!  Created in 2008 as a joint venture between Sanrio and Sega Sammy Holdings (which is a joint company in itself between Sega and Sammy).  The Wiki article goes onto explain the history of the Jewel Pet Franchise, including having best seller toys, an anime series and a movie released in 2012.  Puroland can also be thankful for the Jewel Pets when "visitors increased by 17% during the fourth quarter of 2010" after the additional of two Jewel Pet Musicals were added to the park.  - source

I was victim myself to the merchandising train (100% not a bad thing) when I bought myself this jewelry box (below) from the Hello Kitty Town gift shop in Malaysia :P  It was only when reading the story behind Jewel pet that I grasped on - I'm pretty silly because inside were stickers of the Jewel Pet Characters...oops!

The storyline exert from wiki...

One day in an antique shop, there is a magical Jewel Box which is sitting there for centuries and shines in very bright colors. A strange girl accidentally encountered the box and opened it, causing a strange light to shine and the girl sucked inside. The next thing she knew, she is now in a strange new world that shines like jewels .  Jewel Land is the name of the world where all Jewelpets live. Each Jewelpet differs from their magical Jewel Eyes and depends on the Human Partner that awakens them and use magic whenever they needed to.

There is the info page on the Japanese Sanrio site here and since they're a big deal they also have their own individual website (but unfortunately all in Japanese)  Apparently they are up to 40 characters, I found seven cat characters, which include,

source
Garnet, the Persian cat who's jewel eyes are, well, Garnet :P
She's the cat that features the most, so I'm guessing one of the original characters or one of the more popular ones anyway!

source
There are a couple of cats who look a-little-like dogs and Deanne the Maine Coon is one of them :P His Jewel Eyes are Obsidian.  I had fun googling all the different types of jewels to see if they were actual jewels :)

source
This is Diana the Munchkin and she scored diamonds for her eyes :)

source

Another one of the dog-esque cats is Alexander the Scottish Fold whose eyes are Alexandrite

source

Above is cutie Thor an American Short hair with Tourmaline Jewel eyes!

source

Caiya the Siamese with kyanite eyes :)

source
And last but not least Lapis a Russian Blue cat with Lapis Lazuli Jewel Eyes!


 There are lot of links to games, movies, merchanise on the JewelPet site but I'll just link you to two.  Since I love gachapon (wiki explanation) I couldn't not link to this little game! And below is a good video example of  the age demographic the series is aimed at, similar I believe to how Hello Kitty is marketed in Japan :)



 By the way when I opened my Jewelry box that I bought, I didn't get sucked into Jewel Land :(
Maybe I should ask for a refund?

4 comments:

  1. Australian post offices are bad to me :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. :( :( They are so slack/expensive I dislike them too! I want to protest :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just randomly dropped by your blog. I love the layout and colour scheme, its very cute and catterific!

    ReplyDelete