Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Gotokuji Temple - Home of the Lucky Cat


source
The story of the lucky cat, comes from a cat named Tama (no not that Tama though I do wonder if that's where she got her name!) Anyway the priest of Gotokuji temple took in this stray white cat (Tama) but as times were tough food wise, Tama could no longer sustainably live at the temple anymore.  Fast forward to a bad storm, the priest and his men stopping under a tree to take shelter and Tama the cat beckoning them over with his paw.  The tree was stuck by lightning, Tama was the hero and Gotokuji became the official Lucky Cat Temple.  Okay that was  some pretty bad paraphrasing go check out this amazing article to get the full recap! 

source
So I now have yet another place on my Japan itinerary.  Gotokuji temple is in Tokyo and is a 15 minute walk from the Gotokuji train station.  Not only are there way too many lucky cat ornaments there are also wooden prayer plaque's known as Ema adorned with cat artwork :) Oh and the grounds and temple look super pretty as well, a worthy stop on your next trip I believe!

source
 The cute cat Ema's!

source

source


source 

source

source
You can buy the wooden plaques and ornaments to leave there or take home, I think I'd have to buy two, a keepsake and a leave behind.  On the back of the wooden plaque's you leave your wishes and hopefully they come true!

5 comments:

  1. How did I not know this was in Tokyo?! And that's a different version of the legend than the one I'd heard, but I think I like this one better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe I didn't know either :( Just means we need to plan another holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loveeee Lucky Cat and thanks
    for the background information
    really c: Lovely pictures! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a big lucky cat fan too! I want to start a huge collection of them :)

    ReplyDelete