Tuesday, August 20, 2013

The World Of Satoru Tsuda - Nameneko/Perlorian

Now here is a guy I can relate too (no not that dapper chap below but the guy responsible for photographing them - Satoru Tsuda) 
source
According to the English translation of the Nameneko webpage,

Tsuda has always loved animals. Ten years before his first "
Namennayo" Cat, he had already kept all kinds of pets on the rooftop of his company building. Tsuda didn't like cats much then because they often attacked his birds. It wasn't until later he was involved with work related to cats that he began liking them - he had to shoot photographs of many pedigree kittens for posters and calendars.  


source

(Tsuda's first work with cats on the left and his four rescued kittens on the right)

One more thing, which made Tsuda change his image of cats, was when he took four abandoned kittens into his care in 1979. The kittens were just barely born and couldn't even open their eyes yet. Tsuda did his best to take care of the kittens by warming up the room and feeding them milk with a dropper... at night when Tsuda went to bed the kittens would also squeeze under his blanket. That made Tsuda adore cats even more. 

Around two months later, Tsuda noticed the kittens playing with costumes for dolls, left behind by his girlfriend. He put the costumes on the kittens for fun and because it was funny he took photographs of the kittens running around in their outfit. That was the beginning.... (dum da daaaaa)

btw I had to edit quite a bit out about toilets and wiping cat's bottoms, you can click on the link to read that for yourself!  anyway I digress :P

Have you ever seen these Japanesey '80s kittens dressed up before?  I know I have, they were a one hit wonder in Japan for 6 months or so and hit the merchandise trail pretty hard, leaving behind lots of awesome memorabilia which I get to share today with you guys today :)

source
Nameneko is the shortened name but according to the article on kotaku the full name was "Namennayo Neko" - "neko" means "cat", while "namennayo" can either mean "Don't lick me" or "Don't mess with me"

source 1 / 2
The man himself above, Satoru Tsuda on the far left - no idea who that other guy is :P

Okay, it's time to be bombarded with cute kitties!!!

source
WAHHH a pink pig bus/car/thing? Oh and cute kitties :)

source 1 / 2
source

Is that Candy for me? You shouldn't have :P
source
According to catsperella (great blog btw) "12 million drivers license cards (were) sold, much to the chagrin of the police who asked that the "deceptive contents" be changed." LOL too believable?!?

source 1 / 2
 I'd love to own one of these postcards!

source
source 1 / 2
source 1 / 2

Satoru didn't work alone and I have to say he had a great eye for choosing sidekicks *cough* sexy ladies *cough* he he he.  There is also a page on how they got the cats to looks like their standing here and another about their costumes here. Unfortunately all in Japanese but they do come with pictures!

source
source 1 / 2
Love those vintage book pages!


source
More sexy assistances, I'm sure they were picked on their skill alone!

source

source
source 1 / 2
So badass!

source
Unfortunately, according to the Kotaku article published on 21 may 2013, Satoru is a man in trouble with the law himself, "charged with tax evasion to the tune of 100 million yen (nearly US$1 million)." Yikes!

source

source 1 / 2
source
I think surfer kitty is my favourite!

source

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G outfit!!
source

Oh you naughty "don't mess with you" kitty!


source
I'm going to end this by saying I feel Satoru and me are long lost twins, both starting off scared (well in my case at least) of cats and then ending up photographing then and finally learning to love them!!  Hopefully I can learn from Satoru though and pay my taxes or perhaps he can start selling those licenses again, I'll buy one :)

6 comments:

  1. This is the best thing I've seen in a long, long time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahaha how can he get cats into costumes? this for me would be impossible <3

    Ninja cats <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does seem pretty impossible based on a lot of those intricate costumes but I guess he was dressing them up since they were tiny, so they didn't know any better :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cat-tastic! Great photos. Really enjoyed the piece!
    www.what-is-walthamstow-like.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete